Monday, September 29, 2008

BYU Moves up in Polls. Now has realistic shot at National Championship


As painful it is for me to say that BYU has a good chance at a National Championship, it is a real possibility. It's painful because we still have tons of work to do. Three road trips against TCU, Air Force, and Utah are going to be real tests. TCU scares me because they are hungry. Yes they did get worked at Oklahoma but remember that OU is the #1 team in the country. Plus TCU held their own physically. It was their execution that spoiled their fun. They came out pumped up, ready to start a fight with OU, then got out coached and out executed. They held OU, one of the best rushing teams, to less than 40 yards rushing! We're probably going to have to throw the ball a ton to beat them. Don't even get me started about how we can't contain a dual-threat QB like Andy Dalton.

Then there's Utah. That game is going to be tough. Real tough.

Its a long season and I hate looking ahead and assuming we'll go undefeated. I catch myself looking at the other title contenders in the SEC, Big 12, Big 10, and USC and wondering what would happen if all but one of them ended up with 2 losses. Would we be in the title game?

I found Jan Jorgensen's comments today very interesting at the weekly press conference. He said that it "scared" him when he saw that BYU was ranked so high. I felt the exact same way yesterday when I saw the polls. We will now have a target on our backs the rest of the way.

For an example of this, check out Foxsports.com on the college football section. BYU has a main page about them. Mostly negative stuff but what else can be expected by a BSC/East Coast bias media?

2 comments:

Libertad y Justicia said...

so I was thinking BYU still has a shot at a BCS game. some things have to happen. Utah needs to beat TCU and not lose until BYU. BYU cant lose again obviously. If BYU wins out they should be around #12. what do you think?

Mark Petersen said...

I totally agree. I can't believe people are saying we have no shot at all. I'm actually going to post about this tonight. We can't give up hope!