Monday, January 5, 2009

Looking back on the Streak


I will always look back on the last 3-plus years of basketball seasons in the Marriott Center as some of my best sports memories at BYU. Yes that even includes football. For those of you who have not been to the Marriott Center, it is one of the biggest basketball arenas in college basketball. And when it is sold out like it was on Saturday against Wake Forest, it is much like Quest field in Seattle, deafening.

I will remember the amazing white outs (vs. Utah, UNLV, Air Force, and San Diego St.). I'll remember the very first game I ever attended in 2005 which resulted in the only loss I've ever witnessed in person at BYU, which happens to be the last time BYU lost a home game (I've been to almost every game except the Wake Forest game). I'll remember the amazing games (vs. TCU in 2005, vs. San Diego St. last year, vs Utah and UNLV ever year, and beating #14 Air Force in 2006). Thank You Dave Rose and all the players that made it possible. 53 games is an amazing streak! Lets start a new streak tomorrow by beating Western Oregon!

A Few Other Notes

I've found a new favorite team to root for, The Wake Forest Demon Decons. They were amazing to watch yesterday. Yes, the refs from the A-10 did favor them, but they are still a great team. Jeff Teague is tough and calm under pressure. Many players have fallen victim to the Marriot Center but he rose his game to a whole new level. They have future NBA players in Al-Farouq Aminu, James Johnson, and Teague, just to name a few. Head coach Dino Gaudio is a class act. If you didn't read his postgame comments you should check them out. He was full of praise to the BYU program.

BYU should feel no shame in losing to Wake Forest. They literally outplayed them in every aspect of the game, except shooting down the stretch. If Lee Cummard doesn't go 6-20 and 0-4 on 3's, and JT doesn't go 4-13 on 3's, we win the game. Those were shots that normally would fall for BYU. Thats not even including the fact that we lost our starting and backup centers to foul trouble.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mark! I just found you. Hope everything's going well. I saw on facebook that you're interviewing for schools; good luck with that!

Mark Petersen said...

Thanks Cindy! Ya I'm interviewing on the 23rd so I'm super exited/nervous about that. It will only pretty much decide my future for the rest of my life, so it should be fun. Hope all is well!