Thursday, November 6, 2008

Quincy vs Ephrata...one of the great rivalries


On the eve of the biggest sporting event of the year in the Columbia Basin, I thought I'd reflect and give a shout out to one of the great rivalries in high school sports. As some of you know, Quincy plays host to Ephrata tomorrow for the "Battle of the Basin trophy". Let me tell you, there is no love lost between these two schools, much like Ohio St. and Michigan or BYU and Utah.

One of my greatest memories in this rivalry is beating them my sophmore year in football. We played them @Ephrata my sophmore year and it was my first year as starting QB. It was a great game. I can still remember some of their players so mad after the game that they refused to walk through the line and shake our hands. Then that same year we beat them in basketball (the same year we took 4th in state). It was awesome seeing Weddle crying after he got schooled by Scott Bierlink. I just wish we could have beat them more my junior and senior years.

I believe Ephrata has beat us the last two years so in honor of the presidential election, it's time for change! Go Jacks! Beat Ephrata!

3 comments:

Libertad y Justicia said...

Ephrata Beat Quincy, but Quincy played hard. Ephrata clearly outplayed the Jacks but man, those refs were flat out horrible. I think Quincy got flagged something like 10 to 1 in the first half, one drive gave Ephrata 60 yards on penalties. I dont like excuses and as I said before Ephrata deserved to win and outplayed Quincy but, probably the worst offciated game I have ever seen on any level. It took Quincy out of the game early.

Mark Petersen said...

Wish I could have been there, even though we lost. I wish I could help the team out somehow. Lately I've just wanted to go back to Quincy and coach football and bring the program back.

Libertad y Justicia said...

you should do it, I went and watched royal play on saturday...wow! what a great program they have. great coach and all the players have been in the weight room.