Saturday, November 15, 2008

Thoughs on about everything


So this will probably end up being one of my longest post of all time because there seems to be so much going on in the BYU/Seattle sports scene. I wish I had the time/motivation to post everyday but school is kicking my butt right now. Two midterms this past week plus two this week have me going crazy. So I figure Saturday is a good day to catch up on everything thats going on.

First off I'm stoked about this years BYU basketball team. Last nights game was amazing to see. Yes we played terrible against a team we should have beat by over 20, but how can you not love Lee Cummard? The man is simply amazing. Check out this stat line: 36 points, 11 boards, 5 assists, 3 blocks, 2 steals, 7-7 on free throws, and off the top of my head, somewhere around 14-17 from the field. He will go down as one of the greatest players in BYU history. I'm just glad I've had the opportunity to watch him play for 4 straight years.

On a negative note, Jonathan Tavernari was terrible. The rest of the team was below average but JT had probably the worst night I've seen him have. Somewhere around 8-24 from the field. That just can't happen for this team to be successful. I know I've been harping on this forever but he has to be more selective on his 3-point shots. He forces too many shots with a man in his face. Do a pump fake or something to mix it up. You said before the season you were going to focus on other things besides scoring, so DO IT! Make your teammates better please, like Lee Cummard does.

Moving on to Seattle Seahawk football. This weeks game against Arizona is a must win. I know that sounds cliche and I hate using words like "must win" but this game really is. If we lose this game, no playoffs for the Seahawks. Actually we can only afford to lose probably one more game the rest of the season, which would put us at 8-8. I'm assuming the Cardinals finish at 8-8 and we win the tiebreaker against them. The only reason I have hope is because Matt Hasselbeck is coming back this week. Go Seahawks!

Now to some important offseason news for the Mariners. They will probably name a Manager sometime this week. Ex-Mariner and current Chicago White Sox coach Joey Cora is in the mix. I would love to see Joey as the manager, mostly because I loved him as a player back in the 90s. Plus he's Latino, which would help some of our younger Latin players like Yuni Bentancour, Jose, Lopez, Felix Hernandez, and Carlos Triunfel. He probably won't get the job but you never know.

Oh yeah, there's also a BYU football game today! Its going to be a tough game. Air Force is a really underrated team, especially at home. I'm not worried about our offense, but our D might be in trouble against their triple option attack.

As I was thinking about Lee Cummard being one of the greatest players to ever play at BYU, I thought of how fun it is to watch another player who is the greatest Wide Receiver to play at BYU, Austin Collie. Not only does he lead the nation in yards, and is a Belitnikof award finalist, but only needs 165 yards to become BYU's all-time leading receiver. Oh yeah, and he's only a junior. He has said that he won't leave early for the NFL but we'll see. Go Cougars! Beat Air Force!

2 comments:

Adam said...

Man, it must suck to be Jonathan Tavernari. People only see the negatives.

Tav quietly scored 19 points, and a lot of those points came in the final five minutes. JT came up huge in the last part of the game, and hit a three ball that gave us a much needed cushion.

But I agree about Lee Cummard. Watching him play on Friday was like watching Beethoven conduct the ninth symphony. He is good.

Mark Petersen said...

Yes he did do good things, but with too low of a FG%. There are tons of players that could score 19 points if they shoot 24 times in a game.

Thats my only complaint, that he forces too many bad shots. He must be more selective and let other players on the team take higher percentage shots. Especially Lee. He shot less and scored more! Thats why he is so valuable.