Monday, August 4, 2008

Austin Collie injured



I'll be honest, Austin Collie's stress fracture has got me worried. This guy is our only deep threat who has the ability to stretch the field and open things up for Dennis Pitta and Harvey Unga. It'll be interesting to see how fast he can heal because we really need him, especially against UW. Northern Iowa shouldn't be too hard so I'm not worried about them. But UW scares me, mostly because of Jake Locker. For those of you who haven't heard of Locker, he's pretty much a better version of Tim Tebow, last year's Heisman trophy winner. Here's a highlight video from last year of him.

If you want to see some great updates on the first few days of practice, go to cougaroutpost.com which has links to pretty much everything important that is going on. Or check out Greg Wrubell's blog on ksl.com under the BYU page. Wrubell does a fantastic job during Fall camp. He normally posts audio interviews with the players each day which should satisfy my football fix until Aug.31 comes.

2 comments:

Adam said...

A few things are on my mind after reading this post.

First, why in the great good heck have you not included my blog (go-cougs.blogspot.com) on your list of links?

Second, Austin Collie will be fine. He'll be out two weeks, but let's be honest: there are guys who need fall camp, and Collie isn't one of them.

Third, Collie is not our only deep threat. Reed is a solid receiver, but Ashworth, Hafoka and Chambers will all be able to stretch the field. (But it's all moot, because Collie will be on the field August 30. Just wait and see.)

Fourth, Locker a better version of Tim Tebow? Surely you jest. I smell some Northwest coast bias, Mr. Peterson. Locker is a fine running quarterback, but he can barely throw the ball. He had more INTs than TDs last year, and only completed something around 47% of his passes. BYU's going to be just fine against Washington, especiallyl since the Huskies just lost their leading tackler (Savannah) to academic issues.

So enough doom and gloom, okay? Let the quest to perfection begin!

Mark Petersen said...

I agree with most of what you say. Austin Collie will probably be fine but I'm just concerned when I remember back to last year when his ankle injury seemed to linger the whole year. He was still a stud, don't get me wrong, he still had an amazing year on probably a %70 ankle. I just want to see what he can do when he's fully healthy.

About the rest of the recievers, lets be honest, Michael Reed is not a true deep threat. I can't remember the last time he got past a DB for a long catch (except for his pushoffs). He's a good possesion receiever with good hands who is physical and puts himself in good positions.

Ashworth, Hafoka, and Chambers all have the potential to be deep threats but they are young and unproven.

You're probably right about Tebow being better than Locker, at least throwing the football, but looking at their film, I don't see much difference. I think they are pretty even. Tebow may be a bit more polished and has a TON more weapons around him. Florida is much better than UW. I would like to see what Locker could do on a team with some decent talent. Not saying UW doesn't have talent, they are just young. And I agree that we should beat UW. But they are our biggest threat beside the U.

I totally forgot to add your blog to my links. I'll go ahead and get it done.
Sorry for the doom and gloom. I agree let the quest begin!