Saturday, August 23, 2008

I have a problem


I just can't stop thinking about this dilemma I'm faced with. Every time I watch the Mariners play I can't decide if I want them to win or lose. I'll explain why. Obviously I want them to win because they're my team. It's embarrassing seeing your favorite team have the worst record in the American League and I would love for them to be able to at least catch the Royals or the A's, but thats not going to happen. I also want them to win because winning baseball is just plain fun to watch. Plus if this team could somehow put together a winning month of September, maybe their confidence will increase and they'll play better next year. They need to finish the season just under the .500 mark to avoid being the first team to spend more than $100 million and lose 100 games. That would be just embarrassing.


The only reason I almost want this team to lose is because of one guy, Steven Strasburg. If you haven't heard of this kid you will. Right now he's playing for San Diego St. and is eligible for next year's draft. He was the only college kid to play for team USA during the Olympics this year and is good enough right now to start for the Mariners. I saw him pitch last year against BYU and it was total domination. It was like he was facing little leaguers. He throws in the mid to high 90s with a nasty curveball and changeup.

There is only one problem. The Nationals are even worse than the Mariners and currently have the worst record in baseball which would give them the first pick in the draft next year, leaving Seattle with the 2nd pick. So here lies my problem, do I root for the M's to lose so they can become better in the future (2010 and beyond) or do I root for them now to win just cause it's fun and maybe it will boost their morale if they can win some games with the young kids that are playing right now. If they start winning, maybe that will carry them into next season with a winning attitude.

Tough decisions.

No comments: