Thursday, August 7, 2008

BYU Practice Open to the Public


So today's practice was the only open practice that BYU will have open to the public for this Fall camp. Luckily I'm not heading home to Washington till tomorrow so I decided to head on down to the practice facility during my lunch break because I work really close to where they practice.

When I arrived I noticed I had made a cardinal mistake, I had a red shirt on from work! Of course everyone else was wearing blue and white BYU colors and I'm there with my hated Utah colors. Here I am, one of the most die hard BYU fans, and people are looking at me thinking I'm a traitor. I guess thats why we shouldn't judge people by what they wear. Actually I don't think anyone gave me any weird looks so it was fun, even though I could only stay for about a half hour because I had to get back to work. Anyways, just a few observations:

Just as you walk into the facility, there are signs everywhere that say "No videotaping or internet posting." So I'll try not to be specific about things. I know Bronco doesn't like having open practices because of people who have taken advantage of having open practices by posting videos or giving away very specific details about plays, etc. So I'll try not to be one of those people so we can continue to have open practices in future years.

I figure that Greg Wrubell post the same things that I'm about to post but only in greater detail so I figure I'm OK. First, Fui Vakapuna looks like a monster (#1 pictured above). That boy is ripped. He didn't looked too slowed by his hamstring and I think he'll be ready to go by the season opener. Our receivers looked really good. O'neill Chambers (#11 pictured below) is going to be a stud. He looked confident, making all the catches. He is a physical specimen with all the tools to be great. He is a very confident/borderline cocky player. If you didn't see his interview on ESPN.com check it out here and you'll see why his fellow WRs won't be making him brownies any time soon. I would be very surprised if he didn't see some time this year either at kick return or WR.
He will have some serious competition though. Austin Collie is a stud. Michael Reed has been very impressive during camp. He's a proven receiver. Luke Ashworth and Spencer Hafoka are both back from missions and in great shape. So Chambers will have to fight for his playing time.

Overall it got me pumped for this season! I had goosebumps all over. Only 23 more days till the best time of year...College Football!!

2 comments:

Adam said...

Great post, Mark. I wish I could have been there, but I was getting a new ACL at the time. Stupid knee surgeries.

Mark Petersen said...

Ya I read your post about the knee surgery...crazy stuff. It sucks that they only have one open practice to the public. I think Bronco is easily annoyed by the public. He doesn't want all the media hype/attention to distract the players.