Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Is Football season here yet?


Went and saw the midnight showing of The Dark Knight last week and it wasamazing. Just thought I'd throw that out there. And had an amazing trip to Zion's National Park down in southern Utah for the weekend so I've been pretty busy this past week, hence no posting yet this week. The sports news has been a bit slow also but I'll start posting quite a bit once Fall camp starts for BYU and the Seahawks.

Well my Mariners have been out of it since mid-May so it's been a painful summer but hey, there is always football season around the corner. I love watching baseball but the Mariners have taken all the fun out of it for me this year. They don't play the game the right way. Only a handful of them hustle (Beltre, Ibanez, and thats about it). They're selfish, they don't take walks, swinging at every pitch (ya I'm talking to you Ichiro, Betancourt, Johjima, Beltre, and Lopez). Felix Hernandez is the only one worth watching. Thank goodness for him or else we would be the worst team of all time. We have no offense. A below average defense, and our pitching has underachieved all year. Like I said before, I love baseball, but there is only one thing that can get me more exited, College Football!

For those of you who don't know (and if you don't know this then you don't know me very well) I am a college football junkie. I can't get enough of it. I love sitting at home on saturdays in the fall, watching all the games throughout the day. As much as I love summer time, I wish I could just fast forward to September. You know that Green Day song "Wake me up when September ends" should have been called "Wake me up when August ends." What were they thinking, who wants to miss the first month of college football? I've been spoiled the last two years cause my Cougs have been undefeated at home. This year is shaping up to be an amazing year. I posted a preview a couple weeks ago for the upcoming season and August 31st can't get here soon enough (opening game). Fall camp opens up in about a week (Aug 1) so hopefully I'll be able to catch a few practices since I live and work right next to the practice facility. I actually just saw some players (Russell Tiavalea, Dallas Reynolds, and some other lineman) working out yesterday as I was walking from work. Those guys are animals and they look like they're in great shape.


The MWC media days just finished and BYU was picked to win (no surprise). Lots of players on the all-conference team. I can't wait to see Max Hall, Harvey Unga, Austin Collie, and Dennis Pitta all together with one year of experience. This offense could be one of the best offenses ever at BYU with all the seniors on the O-line.

I can't forget to mention my Seahawks. This looks to be another year where we win the division and lose our first road playoff game like the last two years. We need a decent O-line, which we don't have except for Walter Jones. We need a running game, which might improve with getting rid of Shaun Alexander for Julius Jones and TJ Duckett. And we need some good WRs which we barely have, such as Deion Branch (who is hurt) and Bobby Engram (who is getting old). I'll give credit to our defense though, those guys can play, especially at home. They tend to have some problems on the road though.

2 comments:

Libertad y Justicia said...

The BYU Football team is good, and I am way excited but I think we might be in for letdown. Not saying its going to happen because BYU could very well go unbeaten! Go Cougs. Seahawks will win the division but can they win in the playoffs?

Mark Petersen said...

Funny that you mention the letdown because I was just thinking about that today. I think the SL Tribune ran a story about Bronco and how there tends to be a letdown when people have success early (like Max Hall and many of the other starters who have started since they were freshman or sophomores). But I just don't see it from this group. They seem to be working hard in the off season and I don't think Bronco will let this team have a letdown. Realistically, there are only four games on the schedule that we could lose: UW, UCLA, TCU, and Utah. And we should be favored in all of those games. In my mind, an 8-4 record would be a letdown, but a 10-2 season wouldn't be a letdown, only disappointing because I expect this team to go undefeated.